On 16 April Shohmansur District Court in Dushanbe sentenced independent journalist Daler Sharipov to one year’s imprisonment for inciting religious hatred under Article 189, part 1 of the Criminal Code. The NGOs jointly issuing this statement are concerned that the 32-year old journalist, who frequently wrote about controversial issues such as human rights and religion and has criticized government policies in these areas, was targeted in retaliation for his legitimate journalistic work. The organizations are calling for Daler Sharipov’s prompt and unconditional release.
Read the statement here.
The statement is issued by International Partnership for Human Rights together with the following members of the Coalition against Torture and Impunity in Tajikistan and other local civil society groups and activists:
- Public Organisation Lawyers Association of Pamir
- Public Organisation Bureau of Human Rights and Rule of Law
- Public Organisation Khoma
- Public Organisation National Association of Independent Mass-Media in Tajikistan
- Public Organisation The League of Women with Disabilities “Ishtirok“
- Public Organisation The World of Law
- Public Organisation Office of Civil Freedoms
- Public Foundation Notabene
- Public Foundation Tashabbusi hukuki
- Public Organisation Human Rights Center
- Public Organization Najoti kudakon
- Association Public Assessors of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Oynihol Bobonazarova, Public Organization Perspektiva Plus
- Shuhrat Saidov, lawyer
- Public organisation Otifa.