With funding from the European Union, International Partnership for Human Rights (IPHR) together with Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR) have launched a project to support civil society with monitoring the implementation of justice sector reform in Kyrgyzstan.
IPHR and LHR are looking for an international rule of law expert(s) specializing in justice sector monitoring and analysis to be tasked with assisting with the development of a tailored justice sector reform monitoring methodology for Kyrgyzstan in cooperation with a team of national thematic experts. To note, under this assignment, justice sector includes the entire chain of major justice actors: police, investigation, prosecution, judiciary, bar, penal enforcement system, probation, forensic expertise, etc. Findings obtained through the application of the monitoring methodology, within the framework of the project, will be used for further national and international advocacy.
Major duties and responsibilities:
In coordination with IPHR’s Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with LHR and national experts, the international expert will support the Project in the following:
- Desk review/research, including through a discussion with the selected national experts, to gain understanding of selected legal issues related to the justice sector reform implementation in Kyrgyzstan, the country’s obligations to the international human rights instruments such as CEDAW, CRPD and treaty bodies, and to UPR;
- Sharing relevant international knowledge and best practices with selected national experts and civil society regarding different monitoring systems of the justice sector, potentially including such examples as World Justice Project Rule of Law Index, World Bank indicators for justice and other good international practices;
- Assisting with the development of a tailored national justice sector reform monitoring methodology, using to select the relevant methodological tools and indicators most applicable in the Kyrgyz context;
- Facilitation, provision of expertise and support to the team of national experts in fine-tuning and tailoring the methodology, incorporating the relevant overarching issues, such as gender-mainstreaming and human rights based approach;
- Support in provision of training to civil society activists on the best practices of methodology application in justice sector monitoring;
- Provision of mentoring to the national experts as well as civil society representatives throughout the process of the methodology application;
- Support in data and findings analysis yielded through the methodology application for the preparation of analytical reports about the justice sector monitoring.
Consultancy will involve travel to Kyrgyzstan, organized and covered by IPHR and LHR, as well as remote work.
Qualifications and required experience:
- Advanced academic degree in law or relevant areas (development studies, human rights, political science, public administration);
- PhD and/or research master’s in law would be considered an asset.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in rule of law, criminal justice, human rights and/or access to justice with international organizations, including international consultancies;
- Experience working with justice sector monitoring and evaluation systems, practical experience in conducting of monitoring, preferably in criminal justice area;
- Experience with developing and/or assessing applicable research tools and methodologies in rule of law and/or access to justice projects;
- Experience of working with both quantitative and qualitative datasets;
- Experience in cooperation and interaction with government bodies, experts, think-tanks and non-governmental organizations.
Fluency both in written and spoken English and Russian. Knowledge of Kyrgyz will be an asset
- Superior research skills, both qualitative and quantitative, and sharp analytical capabilities;
- Ability to work in team and meet deadlines;
- Ability to collect, analyze and systematize received information;
- Strong training and mentoring skills (online and offline);
- Results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
Please send your CV and a financial offer including your daily fee and an estimated plan to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is August 17, 2022 (23:59 Central European Time). Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a suitable candidate might be engaged before the deadline.
Read the full Terms of Reference document here.