IPHR is recruiting a Finance Officer responsible for the financial management of multi-country donor-funded projects in the Former Soviet Union (FSU) region. The position is based in Tbilisi, Georgia. Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending a CV together with a cover letter and the names of two referees by 31 January 2023, to the attention of:
Recruiting committee Financial Officer
International Partnership for Human Rights (IPHR) is an independent, non-governmental organisation founded in 2008. Based in Brussels, IPHR works closely together with civil society groups from different countries to raise human rights concerns at the international level and promote respect for the rights of vulnerable communities.
IPHR is committed to promoting human rights worldwide. It empowers local civil society groups working to advance the protection of human rights in their respective countries and assists them with raising human rights concerns at the international level. In cooperation with partner organizations, IPHR advocates on behalf of individuals and communities who are among those most vulnerable to discrimination, injustice and human rights violations.
Our core values
Partnership: Building partnerships is a cornerstone of our work. In our cooperation with local human rights groups, we always strive to establish partnerships that are based on equality and mutual respect.
Responsiveness: We are responsive to the needs of our local partner organizations and work to support them to address pressing human rights concerns and reach out to the international community.
Commitment: We are driven by a strong commitment to promoting human rights and advancing the mission of our organization, to the benefit of individuals and communities in our target countries.
Integrity: We carry out our mandate in an independent and impartial way, take responsibility for our work, and demonstrate accountability to our donors, partners and others with whom we cooperate.
As a Finance Officer, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of financial policies, as well as financial management and reporting process across various projects implemented by IPHR. You will work closely with IPHR’s Finance Manager and Program Manager to understand business drivers that impact revenue and expenditure, the short and long-term financial position of IPHR, as well as to build a functional and transparent financial reporting framework for IPHR’s local partners to enable a seamless financial reporting process.
The Finance Officer will work closely with and report to IPHR’s Finance Manager, Programme Manager and Director while providing support and guidance on financial matters to the whole programme team.
Description of duties
Finance Officer is responsible for:
- Developing project budgets in accordance with agreed organisation objectives and priorities
- Closely monitoring expenditure across the projects and in accordance with IPHR’s internal policies;
- Advising IPHR’s leadership on the development of the organisation’s financial strategy and other financial initiatives;
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual budget and global reporting pack for the General Assembly, ensuring the documents are accurate, well scrutinised and assimilated and are prepared and based upon clear and well-supported assumptions which reflect the objectives and priorities agreed by the senior management team and the Board and take account of the Reserves Policy of the organisation;
- Monitor cost-effective use of donors’ funds by IPHR;
- Ensure that financial risks are identified, understood and monitored and that there are systems in place to mitigate the risks without compromising the organisation’s capacity for effective action;
- Calculate and communicate actual and anticipated cash position to ensure the Board and senior management team are clear as to the liquidity of the organisation at any given moment;
- Oversee the timely and accurate production of monthly and quarterly financial reports to the donors and senior management team;
- Establish and communicate to senior management team short, medium and long term financial position through the regular and timely review and reforecast of organisation budgets and key performance measures;
- Oversee the timely and accurate production of financial reports by IPHR’s partners;
- Provide guidance and mentoring for financial officers in IPHR’s partner organizations when need be;
- Evaluate Fundraising income projections together with senior management team
- Refine reporting and modelling tools in line with new technologies and changing organizational priorities
- Oversee production, maintenance and storage of financial records to ensure they meet all statutory requirements, are consistent with internal policy and procedures and where appropriate comply with best practice
- Ensure that all financial systems are maintained to a high standard and efficiency in order to minimize the possibility of fraud or misuse of assets
- Review compliance with policies and procedure and take appropriate action where breaches have been established
- Develop and recommend changes to financial policies, procedures as required
- Coordinate preparation of accounts, statements and disclosures for Annual Audit and present the year-end financial statements for approval the senior management team and the Board
- Enact relevant Audit Recommendations in association with Finance Manager
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly reporting by IPHR’s Tbilisi office to IPHR’s headquarters in Brussels;
- Undertake any other tasks as instructed by the senior management team.
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- A University degree in Commerce, Accounting or finance from a recognized university
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in similar role in an NGO/INGO or with a busy working environment
- Computer skills especially in Ms Excel, spread sheets, Ms Word and specialized accounting software tools
- Fluency in English and Russian languages
- High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team
- Ability and willingness to work under high pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Supportive personnel management style